What does 2021 sound like?

 



I don't think that hip hop is the only music out there, but I just know that is what I like the most this year! Let's start by the top, Little Simz has signed the best album of the year so far: Sometimes I may be an introvert (I may do another review update at the end of the year!), a record with a classic taste not afraid of algorithms, with 19 tracks including interludes. Try it if you like Lauryn Hill, Erykah Badu, and especially Janelle Monáe because this is close to her epic ArchAndroid. Just some steps down the road, Kanye West's album has all the narcissistic delight you would expect from his personality, Donda is 50% Yeezus, 30% 808s & Heartbreak, and 20% Jesus Is King, though critics have tried to destroy him with their reviews, I'm on his side and with all the millions of fans who listen to Donda and think he is still a genius. The third stop is for Dave's We're All Alone Together, with this twisted title what we find is a very personal approach to life by this 23-year-old British rapper, he has so much soul and talent, definitely one to watch, listen to the sad and melancholic vibes in his grandiose track We're All Alone! The Melodic Blue by Baby Keem is probably the most instagramable cover of the year, with the blessing of the big ones Kendrick Lamar, Travis Scott, and Kanye West, what can I say? I'm drawn by his personality (once more), he adds to hip hop an intimate, mellow, and eclectic sense. Then, Mike presents an alternative and experimental hip hop on his Disco!, distracting title by the way! Drake's Certified Lover Boy is also an enjoyable mainstream hip hop album, and to end this round, Tinashe's 333 is an R&B treat. 

In the pop field, I'm addicted to Billie Eilish's moves towards adulthood: Happier than ever, I love her new songs, but my fave track: Oxytocin still connects more with her previous stuff. Garbage released their most political album, and it sounds just like them! Their sounds, effects, catchy choruses, and (her) voices are absolutely intact, but the lyrics channel everything that is happening around us now. Do not forget the Latin tribute by C. Tangana: El Madrileño, having these songs with me the whole year now! Laura Mvula and Erika de Casier are names that also define 2021 in music! With refreshing approaches to R&B! Connecting with the big pop icons: Laura Mvula looking at Michael Jackson and Prince, while Erika de Casier looks at Janet Jackson!

And my last music finds are Mike Kayihura and Jordan Rakei. Mike Kayihura is a Rwandan singer and songwriter who recently hosted a BBC show called Africa 360, his voice is magical and celestial, it sounds so pop for me. Jordan Rakei is a mainstream version of James Blake, his music arrangements remind me of George Michael and his voice of James Vincent McMorrow! I can see him getting as famous as the coca-cola. 

Check the link below to listen to the Pop Sonality playlist of the year, and stay tuned for the update with the best music of 2021!


Entradas populares de este blog

The Best of 2023, The Pop Sonality Choices. Curated by Seigar.

Top 50 Albums with Pop Sonality of 2021!

🩵 Elise Goyette has Pop Sonality!